What is Glivec/Gleevec 400 mg Tablet ?
Glivec belongs to the group of medications called antineoplastics, or anti-cancer medications. Glivec, manufactured by Novartis Pharmaceuticals, contains Imatinib Mesylate as an active ingredient. It is a prescription drug that should be used under proper medical guidance and advice. Do not share the medicine with others, since they may be suffering from a problem that is not effectively treated by this drug.
When is Glivec 400 Tablet prescribed ?
Imatinib Mesylate (Glivec) is an oral oncology drug which is used to treat certain types of cancer such as –
- Chronic myeloid leukaemia (CML), a cancer of white blood cells.
• A type ofAcute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) called Philadelphia chromosome positive (Ph+ALL).
• Myelodysplastic and myeloproliferative conditions) – blood disorders where some blood cells grow out of control.
• Gastro-intestinal stromal tumours (GISTs) – a rare type of cancer of the supporting tissue of the bowel or stomach.
• Dermato fibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) – a rare type of cancer of the tissue under the skin.
How Does Glivec (Imatinib) 400 mg Tablet Work ?
Imatinib (Glivec) is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Tyrosine kinases are important proteins in the body that regulate how cells grow and divide. Imatinib cancer medication blocks the activity of this enzyme, which delivers a signal that causes cells to multiply. By blocking this enzyme, Glivec can help stop the spread of cancer cells.
What are the adverse effects of Glivec/Gleevec 400mg Tablets?
When you take Imatinib cancer medicine, it’s important to be aware of changes in your body and how you feel. This medicine can cause some side effects. Side effects can range from mild to severe. Each person’s reaction to treatment is different. Some people have very few side effects, while others may experience more. The following is a list of possible side-effects that may occur in medicines that contain Imatinib Mesylate:
Common Side Effects of Glivec/Gleevec Tablets : Diarrhea ; Fever ; Joint Pain ; Low Energy ; Muscle Pain ; Stomach Cramps ; Throwing Up ; Chronic Trouble Sleeping ; Hair Loss ; Head Pain ; Loss Of Appetite ; Dry Skin ; Indigestion etc.
Serious Side Effects of Glivec/Gleevec Tablets : Chest Pain ; Bleeding Of The Stomach Or Intestines ; Visible Water Retention ; Abnormally Low Blood Pressure ; Depression ; Fluid In The Lungs ; Low Amount Of Potassium In The Blood ; Trouble Breathing etc.
Tell your healthcare provider if you have any side effect that bothers you or does not go away. If you notice any effects that aren’t listed here, discuss them with your doctor or specialist nurse.
What are the storage instructions for Glivec 400 mg ?
Patients must properly store the drug to retain its quality and efficacy. Following storage instructions will be helpful in storing the drug in the best of manner.
- Store Imatinib Tablets in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
• Discard the medicine if its expiry date has crossed.
• Keep this cancer medicine away from the reach of children or pets. A locked cupboard at least one-and-a-half meters above the ground is a good place to store medicines.
• Keep your Tablets in the original container until it is time to take them.
• Do not store Glivec or any other medicine in the bathroom or near the kitchen sink. Do not leave it in the car. Heat and dampness can destroy some medicines.
• Consider storing your medications separately from your other family members. You can put them on a different shelf, or in a different cabinet or drawer.